Sunday, May 29, 2011

Dr. Drew on the Good Life in Anchorage, Alaska

It was difficult for me to walk around Anchorage, Alaska this week without thinking of Gov. Sarah Palin.  To me, Alaska appeared to be a state relatively unharmed by modern liberalism.  There was, for example, no sales tax in the City of Anchorage.  It was a welcome bit of freedom to find out that a $10 set of batteries only cost me $10.  I had an opportunity to tour what was supposed to be the poorest part of Anchorage - the famous Mountain View neighborhood.  It looked quiet and peaceful.  Children were playing in the streets.  It reminded me of the real poverty - moral and spiritual - that keeps parts of Detroit and Los Angeles stacked with empty lots and hopeless fears. 

John C. Drew, Ph.D. is an award-winning political scientist.

No comments:

Most Popular Posts