Wednesday, June 19, 2019

The Young Billionaire: Career Advice for Young Women from Elizabeth Holmes

I noticed all the folks giving out career advice to young people. I thought it might be interesting to see what advice might come from Elizabeth Holmes. As you may know, Holmes was at at 31, the youngest self-made female billionaire in the world. Here's the advice she gave to Cindi Leive of Glamour.

Holmes, right, with Leive at Theranos headquarters,
in Palo Alto, California
Holmes' actual life goal is not simply to make more money; it's to change our entire view of health care.

I was very blessed to grow up in an environment in which I was encouraged to believe that there was nothing I couldn't do. For example, when I was about seven years old, I began designing a time machine, and I had very detailed "engineering drawings." And I'd show them to my parents, and they [would say], "Of course. How's the development going?"

If they say no to me a thousand times, I'm gonna keep on trying for the next thousand.

When you find what you love, you do it. That's it.

My parents were wonderfully supportive. They let me take the money they'd saved their whole lives for me to go to college and put it into this business. But the doubters make you stronger.... You have to think about—if you didn't have to worry about making money or taking care of people, what is it that you love so much that, even if you got fired from that job over and over again, you would keep doing it? Then go follow that, because that's your path.

On who to hire... You're looking for the ones who say, "This is what I've wanted to do my whole life.

What she would tell young women... I would say three things: Find what you love, and don't let it go no matter what. I would say Winston Churchill really knew what he was talking about when he said, "Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never...." And I would say that I am living proof that it's true that if you can imagine it, you can achieve it.

John C. Drew, Ph.D. is an award-winning political scientist.

No comments:

Most Popular Posts